Royal Oak Schools
With a strong reputation for academic excellence, the District is committed to the success of all students. A Community of Excellence
The Royal Oak School District is a Pre-K12 school district with approximately 5,200 students attending eight schools. The District also has early childhood programs and alternative programs at the secondary level. Preparing children to compete on a global stage takes a concentrated effort. Every department, school, teacher, staff member and family works to support student learning. Everyone works together to prepare each student for the future.
Our district is governed by an elected Board of Education with seven members. The board meets once a month on the second Thursday evening at 7:00 p.m. Additional meetings are scheduled as needed. The Board Office , Office of the Superintendent and District Administration are located at 800 Devillen, Royal Oak, Michigan.
With a strong reputation for academic excellence, the District is committed to the success of all students.
A Community of Excellence
Royal Oak Schools will create a world-class system for learning by building active partnerships among students, educators, families, and community to prepare all students to participate in an ever-changing world as responsible lifelong learners.
What We Offer
- A comprehensive curriculum, aligned with the common core standards
- Advanced placement offerings and accelerated learning programs
- Unique academic enrichment opportunities
- International baccalaureate primary years programme, middle years programme and diploma programme
- An exceptional fine arts program
- Programs in career and technical education
- A full range of award-winning clubs, athletics and activities for student participation
Facts about royal oak schools
- The school district and all of its schools are accredited by AdvancED.
- Average daily attendance rate of 96.30%
- Nationally recognized: A BusinessWeek Magazine named Royal Oak one of the "Best Places in America to Raise Kids"
- All schools are officially designated as Green Schools. Two schools captured Oakland County's top environmentally responsible Green School Excellence Award.
- The Royal Oak High School Graphic Arts Program was awarded the 2010 Frederick D. Kagy Education Award of Excellence.
- Awarding winning High School Model United Nations Team.
- District awarded Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting 24 consecutive years.
- $122,000 in Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp scholarships awarded to High School and Middle School students.
- 2011 High School graduate awards included, 46 Phi Beta Kappa, 2 National Merit Commendations, 18 Sum ma Cum Laude, 9 Magna Cum Laude, 12 Cum Laude, 41 graduating with distinction, and 45 National Honor Society members. The 2011 monetary award accepted totaled $1,279,514 (scholarships, grants & financial aid).
Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) is a cornerstone of the federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) of 2001. In Michigan, it measures year-to-year student achievement on the Michigan Education Assessment Program (MEAP) for elementary and middle schools, or the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) for high schools. Other indicators, such as the number of students who participate in the assessments and graduation rate for high schools, are also considered in the calculation. Michigan provides a wealth of data measuring and comparing the performance of students, school and districts. Visit the Michigan School Data website, www.mischooldata.org , for more information. A link to this website is available from the district homepage, www.royaloakschools.org.
Royal Oak Schools recognizes that maintaining an open dialog with our community is a vital component of district operations. It is further understood that as the district continually defines and redefines how to best utilize its resources, a constant effort must be made to understand the educational and organizational expectations of our community stakeholders while regularly informing community stakeholders of the performance of our schools and challenges facing the district.
- District website
- Social media networks (e.g., Facebook, Twitter )
- Teacher blogs/emails
- Email news updates (individuals posts)
- On line district activity and events calendars
- School Messenger (ENS) email and text messages (for critical news)
- District informational materials (hard copy and on line)
- Direct mail
- Welcome Nights & Open Houses
- Meetings with auxiliary and advocacy organizations (e.g., PTA, Boosters, Outdoor School, etc.)
- Volunteering programs
Parent Notification System, School Messenger
On line portal used by parents to maintain their contact information that is used by the district to communicate information such as, school delays, early dismissals, and emergency information.
Parents will be able to receive important messages directly from their school through the lines of communication that are easiest for them, including home phones, cell phones and other mobile devices and e-mail.
Parent Connect (Zangle/MISTAR)
Parent Connect is an informational resource made available to every family. This resource provides real-time information about your child's grades and attendance, class schedule, immunization records, and includes the balance on his/her nutrition services account. Parent Connect provides a safe, secure and easy access to your child's school record.
If you have questions please contact Angela Smith
Phone: (248) 435-8400 x1216
Fax: (248) 288-4444
What's Being Said About Royal Oak Schools (ROS)
"Royal Oak Schools has been a great learning environment for my children" - Joanne, parent
"The sense of community we felt the first day we visited ROS has only increased over the past four years. It is important for us to establish a certain level of trust among the individuals that are partnering with us to shape and influence our children. We believe that the ROS team of administrators, teachers, and staff provide an optimal education in a challenging environment where our children can grow academically and socially, while expanding their opportunities to serve others." - Tom & Sue, parents
"Although I have faced many obstacles, through ROHS and its wonderful teachers, who did whatever it took to see me succeed, I learned that people really care about me. I have confidence in myself. My dreams won't always be just dreams forever." - Frank, student
"As an alumni of Dondero (class of '86), I am so proud and excited to have my children attend Royal Oak Schools." - Michelle, parent of 7th grader and preschooler
"ROHS has helped me prepare by not only getting me thinking about college but helping me with all the steps along the way to getting there." - Perry, student
"Years ago when we were offered a choice of schools, my husband and I were impressed with ROS's program and what the possibilities were for our three children. ROS offered accelerated instruction, dual enrollment at our local college, Spanish, music, etc. We are so thankful that we made ROS our choice. Our children have excelled over the years; we now have one graduate who was very prepared for university-level education. I have recently asked (her), 'If we could go back in time, should we have made the same choice (in schools) that we made years ago?' She said, 'Yes, definitely!' - Nancy, daughter awarded 4 yr scholarship, Central Michigan University
Visit www.royaloakschools.org or call (248) 435-8400.