Royal Oak schools 

                          Do you need to enroll a new student in to Royal Oak Schools?

ALL enrollments in to Royal Oak Schools are being handled virtually, including the submission of all required documents. No enrollments are being conducted in-person except under certain circumstances and then will be by appointment only. Please see the "How to Enroll" portion of the Enrollment website for more information.

Where to Start?

Have you moved?

Complete the Change of Address form. Return it, along with two (2) current proofs of residency and a copy of your driver's license, to the Central Enrollment Office.  Acceptable proofs of residency are:

  • Lease agreement (including landlord and tenant signatures)
  • Mortgage statement
  • Utility bills (electric, gas, cable/internet (no water bills please))
  • Property tax statement from the City

Royal Oak Residency

Enrollment in Royal Oak Schools is based on residency, which is where a parent/legal guardian owns/rents and physically resides. Within our district boundaries, your residency address is assigned to a specific attendance area/school. District maps and Attendance Areas.


Royal Oak Schools processes new student enrollments online using our student information system, MiStar. To watch a short video regarding enrollment, click here.

Choose the online, pre-enrollment link below to begin this process. 

To pre-enroll your student, click here.

There are six (6) steps to the pre-enrollment process. In Step 5 you will need to upload all of the required documentation electronically to complete the pre-enrollment. Please click Document Upload Directions for step-by-step instructions on how to upload your documents to your pre-enrollment.  Here is a printable list of the required documents.

Document Upload Directions

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ALL enrollments into Royal Oak Schools are being processed virtually, except under certain circumstances and then will be by appointment only. If you need to schedule an in-person appointment to enroll your student, please email our Enrollment Coordinator, Gina Harwood, at gina.harwood@royaloakschools.org to make arrangements.

Required Documentation:

  • Original Birth Certificate with Seal (demonstrating parentage of custodial parent)
  • Driver’s License (or State ID showing photo identification of parent/guardian name and current address)
  • Immunization Records (up to date) – For more information on Immunization Requirements
  • Vision Screening (Kindergarten ONLY; Due by the First Day of School) - For information on Vision Screening Requirements
  • Transcript of final grades (students in grades 9-12)
  • Special Education Documents – Current IEP (for students receiving special education services)
  • Residency Documentation and Verification – Two of any of the documents described below must be provided. If you move to another address, it is your responsibility to notify the Central Enrollment Office of your new address.

Residency Requirements:

A Qualifying Residence: Is defined as a residential dwelling that is either a single family principle residence as recorded with the Michigan Treasury or a legal single family rental unit that meets the Michigan Treasury and local community requirements for a rental.

To establish A Qualifying Residence the district requires:

​Homeowner (provide two proofs from the list below):

  • The deed to the property or current mortgage statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s) must be provided.
  • A current property tax statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s). To qualify as a homeowner, the property must be declared as a principal residence in accordance with state law and guidelines.
  • Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student. Water bills will not be accepted.

Renter (provide two proofs from the list below):

  • An original, signed complete lease in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s).
  • Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student.

Shared Housing (provide two proofs):
If living in someone else's home/apartment a Notarized Shared Housing Form is required.  It must be signed by the Homeowner/Lease Holder and Applicant in the presence of a Notary Public. This document must be accompanied by:

  • Proof of residency, see above requirements.
  • A copy of both parties driver's licenses.

State and Federal Requirements:

When enrolling a student in any Michigan school district, the State School Aid Act, related Michigan Compiled Laws and other federal and state requirements apply. Each district is responsible for verifying three things: parentage, a qualifying residence and residency in the qualifying residence.


Non-resident families may wish to explore the Tuition Enrollment Program offered through Royal Oak Schools. Tuition Enrollment Information

schools of choice

The Schools of Choice application window for the 2022-23 school year closed on Friday, March 25, 2022 and we are no longer accepting applications.  Please check our website in December/January to see what our Board approved Schools of Choice offerings will be for the 2023-24 school year. 

For all Schools of Choice enrollments, the District reserves the right to refuse to enroll any nonresident applicant if that applicant is or has been suspended from another district within the preceding two (2) years or if the applicant has ever been expelled from another district.

Students enrolled through Schools of Choice are eligible for continued enrollment in Royal Oak Schools through grade 12 as long as their enrollment in Royal Oak is continuous.

For questions or for more information on Schools of Choice, contact the Enrollment Office.

Phone: (248) 435-8400, x1260

Under Royal Oak Board Policy, parents may request to transfer their elementary age child to a District elementary school other than their attendance area school. The Elementary Transfer Request form will be available beginning January 3, 2022. For priority consideration, this form needs to be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on February 28, 2022. Please note that should the District receive more Elementary Transfer Requests than space will allow for a specific building, a lottery will be held (date and time to be determined). In addition, siblings of currently enrolled students in a non-attendance area building will be given placement consideration prior to any lottery drawing.

Elementary Transfer Request Guidelines
Elementary Transfer Request form

It should be noted that Elementary Transfer Requests will only be approved on a space-available basis; and, mid-year transfers are not permissible.

Kindergarten Registration for ROYAL OAK School Residents

Kindergarten Enrollment
Kindergarten enrollment for school year 2022-2023 will begin on January 27, 2022. All enrollments will be virtual including uploading of the required documentation to the pre-enrollment. Please see the "How to Enroll" portion of the Enrollment website for more information. To watch a short video regarding the enrollment process, click here.

Kindergarten Age Requirements
A resident child must be five (5) years of age on or before September 1st in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten.

If a child is not five (5) years of age by the September 1st enrollment eligibility date, but will be five (5) years of age no later than December 1st, the parent/guardian may still enroll the child in kindergarten. The parent must notify the school district, in writing, prior to the beginning of the school year. Notification, by way of a completed Kindergarten Age Waiver, must be received in order for a child born between September 1 and December 1 to be enrolled in kindergarten.

Vision Screening for Kindergarten Entry

More information regarding Kindergarten Eligibility can be found on the following sites:

Royal Oak Schools offers a developmental kindergarten

Enrollment of resident students will begin on Thursday, January 27, 2022. Developmental kindergarten is also available to students who have applied through Schools of Choice. Please see the Schools of Choice area of the Enrollment page for information.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is developmental kindergarten?
Developmental kindergarten is designated for children who are of kindergarten enrollment age (5 years old by September 1 of the school year) or for children whose parents complete a waiver (5 years old by December 1 of the school year). The program allows students additional time to physically and emotionally develop in a safe and secure environment before attending kindergarten.

Students in developmental kindergarten experience similar opportunities as other kindergarten students, but are taught at a pace and intensity dependent on individual readiness.

Developmental kindergarten students will be taught by a certified teacher endorsed in early childhood, and they will participate in many activities around language & literacy, math, science, social studies, technology & computers, social experiences, and dramatic play. Students also attend traditional specials classes, including physical education, Spanish, art, and music.

How do I know if it is right for my child?
There is no single definition or assessment to determine placement. Most students will attend traditional kindergarten. Parents who are already considering another option before kindergarten are most likely to consider developmental kindergarten.

Any parent who indicates that they are interested in developmental kindergarten at the time of enrollment will be contacted by the principal of the school in their attendance area.

What is the typical class size in developmental kindergarten?
The exact size and number of classes will be determined after enrollment, taking into consideration school space availability.

Where and when is this program?
Developmental kindergarten will follow a schedule consistent with all Royal Oak elementary buildings. Students will attend a full day, beginning at 8:25 a.m. and ending at 3:30 p.m.

The location of the program is still being determined based on space-availability and need.

In what grade will my child be enrolled after he/she completes developmental kindergarten?
Students who complete developmental kindergarten are expected to attend kindergarten the following year.

Is childcare available for developmental kindergarten?
Yes. Developmental kindergarten families have access to all school programs available to traditional kindergarten students, including childcare (latchkey). The processes for participation are the same.

Will students receive special education services in developmental kindergarten?
Yes, all special education services, in accordance with the student's IEP, will be available.

How is developmental kindergarten different from the Great Start Readiness Program?
GSRP is a grant-funded preschool program with specific federal guidelines for eligible students who will turn 4 years old between September 1 and December 1 of the current year.

How do I enroll my student?
For enrollment information and required documentation, please visit the Enrollment page of the District website and expand the "How to Enroll" section.

Click here for a printable version of the above frequently asked questions.

There are several ways to become a part of the Royal Oak schools community

  • Royal Oak Residency
  • Schools of Choice
  • Tuition Enrollment
  • Children of Full-time Royal Oak School District Employees
  • Superintendent's Waiver

Non-residents should contact, Gina Harwood - Enrollment Coordinator, to see if they are eligible to enroll in Royal Oak Schools.


(Please Note: If you are unable to print any of these forms they will be available at time of enrollment.)




Preschool Programs

We offer a variety of Preschool Programs which are designed to support the success of each student and prepare them for Kindergarten and beyond. More information on our preschool offerings.

Continuing Education Programs

The Royal Oak Schools Continuing Education Program operates programs for both Adult and Alternative Education, as well as ESL services. More information on our Continuing Education Programs.

Special Education Programs

A broad range of Special Education programs and services are available for eligible Royal Oak School students, from age 0 through 26, through our Special Education Department.

We are excited to have your family join our educational community. If you need further assistance or have additional questions on how to enroll, please contact our Central Enrollment Department.