Enrollment for the 2019-2020 School Year
will begin on January 22, 2019 @ 7:30 a.m.

Central Enrollment Office

Royal Oak Schools
Administrative Office
800 DeVillen Ave.
Royal Oak, MI  48073
Phone: 248.435.8400, x1260
Fax:  248.280.2591
E-mail:   gina.harwood@royaloakschools.org

Have you moved?

Complete the Change of Address form. Return it, along with two (2) current proofs of residency and a copy of your driver's license, to the Central Enrollment Office.  Acceptable proofs of residency are:

  • Lease agreement (including landlord and tenant signatures)
  • Mortgage statement
  • Utility bills
  • Property tax statement from the City

How to Enroll

Royal Oak Residency

Enrollment in Royal Oak Schools is based on residency, which is where a parent/legal guardian owns/rents and physically resides. Within our district boundaries, your residency address is assigned to a specific attendance area/school. District maps and Attendance Areas.


Royal Oak Schools processes new student enrollments online using the MIStar Access system.   Click on the online, pre-enrollment link below (tree logo) to begin this process. The Central Enrollment Office is located at the Administration Building, 800 DeVillen, Royal Oak, MI 48073.  A computer is available on-site for use if a family does not have access to one. 

Royal Oak Schools Online Pre-Enrollment

Next Steps

Once you have completed the online enrollment portion, you will need to bring all required documentation to the Central Enrollment Office to complete the process.  Click here for a printable list of required documents.

Required Documentation:

  • Original Birth Certificate with Seal (demonstrating parentage of custodial parent)
  • Driver’s License (or State ID showing photo identification of parent/guardian name and current address)
  • Immunization Records (up to date) – For more information on Immunization Requirements
  • Vision Screening (Kindergarten ONLY) - For  information on Vision Screening Requirements
  • Transcript of final grades (students in grades 9-12)
  • Special Education Documents – Current IEP (for students receiving special education services)
  • Residency Documentation and Verification – Two of any of the documents described below must be provided. If you move to another address, it is your responsibility to notify the Central Enrollment Office of your new address.

Residency Requirements:

A Qualifying Residence: Is defined as a residential dwelling that is either a single family principle residence as recorded with the Michigan Treasury or a legal single family rental unit that meets the Michigan Treasury and local community requirements for a rental.

To establish A Qualifying Residence the district requires:

​Homeowner (provide two proofs):

  • The deed to the property or current mortgage statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s) must be provided.
  • A current property tax statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s). To qualify as a homeowner, the property must be declared as a principal residence in accordance with state law and guidelines.
  • Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student.

Renter (provide two proofs):

  • An original, signed complete lease in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s).
  • Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student.

Shared Housing (provide two proofs):
If living in someone elses home/apartment a Notarized Shared Housing Form is required.  It must be signed by the Homeowner/Lease Holder and Applicant in the presence of a Notary Public.  This document must be accompanied by:

  • Proof of residency, see above requirements. 
  • A copy of both parties driver's licenses.

State and Federal Requirements:

When enrolling a student in any Michigan school district, the State School Aid Act, related Michigan Compiled Laws and other federal and state requirements apply. Each district is responsible for verifying three things: parentage, a qualifying residence and residency in the qualifying residence.


Non-resident families may wish to explore the Tuition Enrollment Program offered through Royal Oak Schools. Tuition Enrollment Information

Becoming Part of the Royal Oak Schools Community

There are several ways to become a part of the Royal Oak schools community

  • Royal Oak Residency
  • Schools of Choice
  • Tuition Enrollment
  • Children of Full-time Royal Oak School District Employees
  • Superintendent's Waiver

Non-residents should contact, Gina Harwood - Enrollment Coordinator, to see if they are eligible to enroll in Royal Oak Schools.


Kindergarten Registration for ROYAL OAK School Residents

Kindergarten Enrollment
Kindergarten enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year will begin on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. Please see the "How to Enroll" portion of the Enrollment website for more information.

Kindergarten Age Requirements
A resident child must be five (5) years of age on or before September 1st in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten.

If a child is not five (5) years of age by the September 1st enrollment eligibility date, but will be five (5) years of age no later than December 1st, the parent/guardian may still enroll the child in kindergarten. The parent must notify the school district, in writing, prior to the beginning of the school year. Notification, by way of a completed Kindergarten Age Waiver, must be received in order for a child born between September 1 and December 1, to be enrolled in kindergarten.

More information regarding Kindergarten Eligibility can be found on the following sites:
External Linkhttp://michigan.gov/documents/kindergarten_122554_7.pdf
External Linkhttp://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-380-1147

Internal Elementary Transfers

Under Royal Oak Board Policy, parents may request to transfer their elementary age child to a District elementary school other than their attendance area school. The Elementary Transfer Request submission period has yet to be determined. Once available that information will be posted here. Feel free to review the Elementary Transfer Request Guidelines for additional information on the Elementary Transfer process.

Elementary Transfer Request Guidelines

It should be noted that Elementary Transfer Requests will only be approved on a space available basis; and, mid-year transfers are not permissible.

Other District Educational Programs

Preschool Programs

We offer a variety of Preschool Programs which are designed to support the success of each student and prepare them for Kindergarten and beyond. Click here for more information on our preschool offerings.

Continuing Education Programs

The Royal Oak Schools Continuing Education Program operates programs for both Adult and Alternative Education, as well as ESL services. For more information on our Continuing Education Programs, click here.

Special Education Programs

A broad range of Special Education programs and services are available for eligible Royal Oak School students, from age 0 through 26, through our Special Education Department. Please click here for more information.

We are excited to have your family join our educational community. If you need further assistance or have additional questions on how to enroll, please contact our Central Enrollment Department.

Schools of Choice

schools of choice

The Schools of Choice application windows (Unlimited K-3rd grade and Limited Seating 4th-8th grade) are now closed for the 2018-2019 school year. Please check back in December/January for information regarding our 2019-2020 Schools of Choice offerings.

For all Schools of Choice enrollments, the District reserves the right to refuse to enroll any nonresident applicant if that applicant is or has been suspended from another district within the preceding two (2) years or if the applicant has ever been expelled from another district.

Students enrolled through Schools of Choice are eligible for continued enrollment in Royal Oak Schools through grade 12 as long as their enrollment in Royal Oak is continuous.

For questions or for more information on Schools of Choice, contact the Enrollment Office

Phone: (248) 435-8400, x1260