Welcome to Royal Oak Schools
Mission Statement: Royal Oak Schools will create a world-class system for learning by building active partnerships among students, educators, families, and community to prepare all students to participate in an ever-changing world as responsible lifelong learners. Learn about our Mission, Vision, Goals and Beliefs.
We offer a variety of Preschool Programs which are designed to support the success of each student and prepare them for Kindergarten and beyond. Preschool offerings and enrollment procedures.
Continuing Education Programs
For information and enrollment procedures for Royal Oak Schools Continuing Education Programs, which include Adult and Alternative Education Programs, and ESL services.
Special Education Programs
A broad range of Special Education programs and services are available for eligible Royal Oak School students from the ages of 0 through the age of 26. Special Education services
We are excited to have your family join our educational community. If you need further assistance or have additional questions on how to enroll, please contact our Central Enrollment Department.
How to Enroll
There are several ways to become a part of the Royal Oak Schools community
Royal Oak Residency
Enrollment in Royal Oak Schools is based on residency, which is where a parent/legal guardian owns/rents and physically resides. Within our district boundaries, your residency address is assigned to a specific attendance area/school. District maps and Attendance Areas.
Pre-K - 12 ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS/PROCEDURES
Royal Oak Schools processes new student enrollments online using the MIStar Access system. The Central Enrollment Office is located at the Administration Building, 800 Devillen, Royal Oak, MI 48073. A computer is available on-site for use if a family does not have access to one.
Once you have completed the online enrollment portion, you will need to bring all required documentation to the Central Enrollment Office to complete the process. Documents include: proof of residency (see below), along with other required documentation and forms. The forms can be found under the forms tab or by clicking on the following, Resident Affidavit, Concussion Awareness and the Technology Use Agreement.
- Original Birth Certificate with Seal (demonstrating parentage of custodial parent)
- Driver’s License (or State ID showing photo identification of parent/guardian name and current address)
- Immunization Records (up to date) – For more information on Immunization Requirements
- Vision Screening (Kindergarten ONLY) - for information on Vision Screening Requirements
- Transcript of final grades (students in grades 9-12)
- Special Education Documents – Current IEP (for students receiving special education services)
- Residency Documentation and Verification – Two of any of the documents described below must be provided. If you move to another address, it is your responsibility to notify the Central Enrollment Office of your new address.
A Qualifying Residence: Is defined as a residential dwelling that is either a single family principle residence as recorded with the Michigan Treasury or a legal single family rental unit that meets the Michigan Treasury and local community requirements for a rental.
To establish A Qualifying Residence the district requires:
Homeowner (provide two proofs):
- The deed to the property or current mortgage statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s) must be provided.
- A current property tax statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s). To qualify as a homeowner, the property must be declared as a principal residence in accordance with state law and guidelines.
- Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student.
Renter (provide two proofs):
- An original, signed complete lease in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s).
Current utility bills within the last 30 days addressed to the person enrolling the student.
Shared Housing (provide two proofs):
If living in someone elses home/apartment a Notarized Shared Housing Form is required. It must be signed by the Homeowner/Lease Holder and Applicant in the presence of a Notary Public. This document must be accompanied by:
- Proof of residency, see above requirements.
- A copy of both parties driver's licenses.
State and Federal Requirements:
When enrolling a student in any Michigan school district, the State School Aid Act, related Michigan Compiled Laws and other federal and state requirements apply. Each district is responsible for verifying three things: parentage, a qualifying residence and residency in the qualifying residence.
Non-resident families may wish to explore the Tuition Enrollment Program offered through Royal Oak Schools. Tuition Enrollment Information
Kindergarten Registration for ROYAL OAK School Residents
Kindergarten Age Requirements
A resident child must be five (5) years of age on or before September 1st in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year.
If a child is not five (5) years of age by the September 1st enrollment eligibility date, but will be five (5) years of age no later than December 1st, the parent/guardian may still enroll the child in kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year. The parent must notify the school district, in writing, prior to the beginning of the 2017-18 school year. Notification, by way of a completed Kindergarten Age Waiver, must be received in order for a child born between September 1 and December 1, 2012 to be enrolled in kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year.
- Kindergarten Age Waiver
- Immunization Waiver Information
- Vision Screening Requirements (Incoming Kindergarten students only)
More information regarding Kindergarten Eligibility can be found on the following sites:
ENROLLMENT FORMS & RESOURCES
(Please Note: If you are unable to print any of these forms they will be available at time of enrollment.)
- Change of Address Form (needs to be brought into Enrollment to be processed)
- Concussion Awareness Form
- Directory/Media Information Opt-Out Form
- Free and Reduced Lunch Application and Food Services Information
- Military Info. Opt-Out Form
- Request for Educational Records Form
- Resident Affidavit Form
- Shared Housing Form
- Technology Form
- Technology Acceptable Use Policy
ANNUAL REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS (required for all students)
At the Board of Education meeting on December 8, 2016, the Board approved accepting an unlimited number of students in grades K, 1, 2, and 3 for the 2017-2018 school year under Schools of Choice Section 105.
Students must reside within the boundaries of the Oakland Imtermediate School District in order to apply. Assignment to schools and classrooms will be on a space available basis. Applications for Schools of Choice in grades K-3 are available now both on-line and at the Administration Building (800 DeVillen, Royal Oak, 48073).
APPLICATION WINDOW FOR K-3
The application window for grades K-3 Schools of Choice is from March 6, 2017 through August 11, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
For all Schools of Choice enrollments, the District reserves the right to refuse to enroll any nonresident applicant if that applicant is or has been suspended from another district within the preceding two (2) years or if the applicant has ever been expelled from another district.
Students enrolled through Schools of Choice are eligible for continued enrollment in Royal Oak Schools through grade 12 as long as their enrollment in Royal Oak is continuous.
For questions or for more information on Schools of Choice, contact the Enrollment Office
Phone: (248) 435-8400, x1260
Under Royal Oak Board Policy, parents may request to transfer their elementary age child to a District elementary school other than their attendance area school. The Elementary Transfer Request form will be available beginning January 16, 2017. For priority consideration, this form needs to be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on March 3, 2017. Requests received after March 3rd will be placed on a Wait List. Please review the Elementary Transfer Request Guidelines for more information.
It should be noted that Elementary Transfer Requests will only be approved on a space available basis; and, mid-year transfers are not permissible.